Wayside wheel tread & surface inspection
Trimble® TreadView® system is a sophisticated automatic non-contact optical wheel surface inspection product that inspects wheel tread surface, flange, and plate areas at mainline speeds.
Automated optical wheel surface inspection system
TreadView offers visual inspection of complete wheel tread and flange surface using optical imaging and laser scanning. The objective of the system is to determine any surface abnormalities of the wheel that can be detected using high resolution images of the wheel and high density 3D data of the wheel surface. A simplified version of the system is available to measure wheel out-of-roundness for high-speed passenger train operators.
State of the art technology for maximum accuracy
TreadView deploys a unique state of art digital imaging and laser scanning technology for maximum data density, accuracy, and efficiency. The product benefits from a series of sophisticated image processing algorithms to assess wheel tread and flange surface condition from acquired multispectral multi-illumination images.
Measurements at line speed, 24/7
A major highlight of the system is that it operates at mainline speeds up to 60 mph (100 km/h) for greater utilization by rail operators. Another important advantage is that it can also operate at very low speed, where traditional “contact” impact and force measurement-based systems fall short of detecting wheel surface problems such as flats due to restrictive speed limitations.
Dramatic time and cost savings, versus manual inspections
Automate and complete optical wheel surface inspections quicker, minimizing time taken, costs, and issues that disrupt service.
Rolling stock stays in service for longer
With accurate measurements at mainline operational speeds there is minimal disruption to rolling stock schedules.
Limits risk to personnel, works 24/7, even in tough environments
TreadView works in even the toughest environments and at night so field workers are not in unpleasant or unsafe working conditions thereby reducing the risk to their safety.
Digital accurate records, with automated alerts of issues
Providing digital records that are usable across operations and maintenance TreadView reduces manual and paper-based workflows saving time and money. Critical issues are flagged and reported automatically so that corrective actions can be taken with less impact on service.
- Highly sophisticated data collection system
- Speeds of 0 to 60 mph (100 km/h)
- Capable of operating in extreme environments
- Operating temperature: –40°C to 55°C
- Installed on trackside with no track interference
- Automatic alarm generation
- Remote monitoring/control
- Digital image acquisition/processing
- Web-based database/visualization
- Automated reporting
- AEI (RFID) integration
Inspections & Measurements
- Flat wheel
- Shelled and spalled tread
- Shell size and depth
- Tread groove
- Shattered rim
- Vertical split rim
- Broken/missing wheel sections
- Broken flange
- Significant spread rim
- Built-up tread
- Slid flat
- Wheel OOR (out-of-round)
- Hunting detection
- Back-to-back (axle wheel pacing)
- Flange height variations around the wheel
- Rim thickness variations around the wheel
- Tread hollow variations around the wheel
- Non-uniform axle wheel wear
- Substantial thermal crack
- Major scrapes, dents, and gouges
- Visible substantial fatigue cracks
- Angle of attack